6.14.2010

My Job

Those of you that know me well, know that I love my job teaching Kindergarten. I love the schedule, the kids, and all the amazing people that I work with.

Just like every job out there, teaching has it's share of ups and downs.  This past year was harder than most due to budget cuts.  We had larger class sizes and less hours for my aide (who is fabulous, by the way). By the end of the year I was exhausted and felt like if one more person needed one more thing from me I would crumble.

So, when I received this note from one of my students, it all seemed worthwhile:

Translation:
Dear Mrs. Hatos,
You are the best teacher ever.  Thank you for spending all that money for the field trip and thank you for teaching me and you are pretty.  You have a cute laugh, it is true.  And thank you for teaching me how to read. 
Love,
Caroline
(on the right side:  You are awesome and fashionable)

At that very moment, Caroline knew exactly what I needed to hear.  However, I must clarify a few of her misconceptions:

1.  I spend a lot of money on my classroom, but didn't spend a cent on our field trip.
2.  I'm glad she likes my laugh because frankly I think it is annoying!
3.  I might be awesome, but I am far from being fashionable!
4.  I'm also thinking we should have spent a little bit more time talking about run on sentences. 
Oh well, she will learn that in first grade!

So, I thank Caroline for ending my year with such a sweet note. 

Maybe my kids will write me a sweet note like that at the end of the summer??


2 comments:

Laura Fuller said...

i love that! and your laugh

Ellen said...

That's such a sweet note! You are an awesome Kindergarten teacher, and I loved watching you teach that one time. :)